Molds for the soldered board

After I tested the board as a wireless stand alone I decided that an enclosure was in order.

animatedBoards.gif

This meant joining the knowledge of Prototyping Electronic Devices and Digital Fabrication classes in making the board and then designing the enclosure.

The design process started off with the following models:

These I consulted with Danny Rozin who suggested that I tried a dip casting (how rubber gloves are made), for this I created the following models

These dip molds were made at La Guardia studio. Since the date of delivery was going to take a while I decided to start working in another mold.

With the help of Chester Dols I created these models which will make up the spheric enclosure I´ve been dreaming of for so long.

The molds are comprised of 4 parts to do the casting and one part to hold the circuit.

 

This is the central part that will keep the casted mold hollow.

This is the bottom piece which has standing legs that will helo the casting

This top mold was divided in to so that placing the interior hollow mold would be possible.

All parts of the mold had long tabs made to allow for clamping. And the bulb mold had resporatory and casting holes which proved actually too narrow to use, it was actually this part what proved more need of adjusment but lets not jump ahead in the process.

The base and bulb molds were made in the Ultimaker 3 with a 6mm nozzel and PLA filament. It took for the machine an average of 25 hours to create each part. The two parts that comprise the top mold were made in a Fortus 450mc at Tandon´s makespace. The average cost of the outsourced jobs (drip molds and top mold) was of $20 USD due to the subsidy provided both by Tisch and Tandon.

animatedSphereMold.gif

For the material I used Ecoflex 00-50 sylicone bought in the Complete Sculpture.

The casting process for the dripping molds was not successfull as the layer poured was too thin, so if I am to try this process again I would need a hardener for the ecoflex so that it cures faster and I can drip mor layers on top.

WP_20171214_00_25_34_Pro.jpg

The casting for the sphere mold, as I mentioned before was a little hard due to the pouring hole being too smal, it took some work to

It took 24 hours for the material to cure completly and the realese was extremly easy. Once it was done I installed the conict enclosure with the pressure sensor attached to a baterry holder inside the sphere I had to hold it with electrical tape to make sure it didn´t move but in general terms it was tightly sealed and the pressure sensing worked perfectly.

To further develop this prototype the bulb mold will be need to be improved so that casting is easier, the circuit enclosure holds to the sphere in a better way and I also need to create a lid to seal the enclosure part.