Manipulating reality

For my final Narrative in AR project I decided to play around with the idea of Manipulating Reality.

I formed my project around two main ideas

  1. If with AR tools we are able to "place" in the real world virtual objects and universes, what would happen if we could use haptic controls to manipulate/touch the reality we see
  2. A constant question during this course for me was how to justify the need to hold a screen in front of me in order to get the experience I desire. That is how I ended up thinking that if the haptic controls I was thinking of were attached to a screen then it would be like holding a "magical" looking glass.

So i went back to my previous work regarding tangability and "squishy buttons" which I have been developing further in other classes during this semester. During this exploration I´ve discovered that the tangability of an object that can be squished is highly satisfactory for people.

I decided to use the sensor I´ve been using for said "squishy button" and make an AR experience that would make a yuxtaposition of senses: sound, touch and sight.

For this I used Vuforia as I knew my experience was going to be static, not mobile due to the time I had to develop the piece. So with the vuforia camera I created a grid of reality that could tbe ransformed, for this transformation I thought of the idea of using a reflected image.

The idea of the reflected image came from the exploration of the obiqutous screen, a screen that is in many ways also a mirror - due to its front camera capability-. What if we could touch said mirror and change the way it shows reality back.

So through connecting a sensor that would detect the pressure excerted over a lump of putty in a jar read by an Arduino UNO communicating with Vuforia using Ardunity for Unity, I created an experience that lets you manipulate the reflection of the reality you are in. Then not only Augmenting reality but also augmenting your control of it.

Further developments of this piece will involve making it wireless and portable i.e. being able to move both control and app into a mobile device, probably an iPad.

Robot Butterfly

This week we explored the servo motor and the piezo speaker, two components that as Danny mentioned seem to bring to life our boards. When thinking for applications for this I realized that since I had already seen the capabilities, it was as knowing a brain could think but how could that brain transmit life. So comming from the question of

How to bring my servo motor to life?

I decided to use it to recreate one of my favorite motions: the flapping of a Butterfly's wings.

By setting this challenge I realized that once the circuit is built and the sketch solved (an easy task for this) the real works starts when materializing the motion. How much does the servo should turn? Which arm to attach? and then the crafting of the object What the butterfly should be made of? How to attach it to the arm? Should the wings get pushed or pulled. And this is when the project starts consuming brain power and time.

Once I got the servo working I started prototyping the butterfly

Once I got the servo working I started prototyping the butterfly

Getting my butterfly done

Getting my butterfly done

Hence the problems that are left to solve regarding this are:

- Since I wish to mantain the material of the butterfly. Is there a better way to hold the wings and make them move other than string? Ruber? Wire?

- How to hold the structure of the butterfly firmly with the servo so that it is a sturdy structure?

- In order to give it a seamless interactivity. How could I adapt a photoresistor as a swich to control the movement of the butterfly?

Playing with a flower

The idea of the potenciometer being a way of regulating light in a more organic way made me thing of a flower, and how it regulates it self  and even moves depending on the amount of light.

So, How about a flower that gave an output of light when being moved rather than the other way around.

For this I cleaned up the potenciometer circuit

Then I went ahead and built the flower pod the flower and made the connections (and forgot to record any of this) But I did recorded the finalized product:

Doing this full product made me realize how much hazel is encountered in the process of fabrication, and made me discover a lot of different ways of tacling issues in advance and planning the final product