Fabrication

6. For the final act: Mounting motors

Artschool is expensive: that seems to be the general agreement. If you are going to be making stuff you are going to be spending big bucks in fancy materials.

This class has taught me a completly different way, I have learnt that as important as the proper tools are, to have a clear knowledge o the result you are going for is incredibly more important than the materials you are going to be building/fabricating with. Genious actually is materialized through limitations.

As I mentioned in the enclosure post it has been inevitable to merge Pcomp final and Fabrication, and is actually that project what I'm continuing for this final delivery.

But, what is all this talk about material costs and solving problems within scarcity about?

The class before this delivery we were introduced to several pre-fab options to mount motors, connect thei shafts to the moving mechanism and even moving mechanisms themselves. All magnificent options to create incredible finalized projects but the question is: How much of a finalized project are we turning in?

I know for sure that regardless of all the work that has been put into designing, prototyping, building, playtesting and correcting, what is going to be shown is still a product in process. Which is getting to a quite decent and solid place as a project, but not a finalized project yet.

And as such it deserves to be treated with respect and be properly built, but it is not yet ready to deserve big bucks to be poured into it,

But enough talk and more show. So for the sake of this argument this motor mounting was built with nothing but humble materials and knowledge from the proper techniques learnt in class.

And that is that, a lot of technique, a little of investment, and a motor that is perfectly fixed and performs wonderfully.

5. The two materials Medeley

This piece starts off with rythm, provided by an off the chart project, The Flashlight Beta. With its main tune delivered by cardboard and plastic the orquestation of water, oil, a basic LED circuit and a lot of Hot Glue, gives way to the rythmic part of the composition.

A pair of artificial lungs made out of two humble materials show how can life can be sprung out of the simpliest of forms if they are stroke correctly. So in this way traslucent tape and pillow filling rise the beat of this medeley.

And to bring everything to an end: the broom rack. A beautiful piece of oak wood (interestingly soft and firm at the same time) and wire make up a very useful household device. 

2. When you set yourself to make pancakes and end up having french-toast

To be completly honest I procrastinated on this project for as long as I could because I was TERRIFIED of the power tools: too much noise, too much chance to blow a finger away. So by the time I summoned up enough courage I needed a miracle to come up with an idea and enough materials to be able to create within two days. And my big miracle came in round beautiful shapes.

But what to do with them? A fast search through pinterest inspiration boards reminded me of a project meant to re-use wine bottles that I had been wanting to try for a really long time, and given the holidays are comming, doing 5 hand made gifts seemed just like the perfect plan.

So Spade bits, drills and press drill were used, clamps were devised in order to paste three wooden circles together. And the first pancake was tryed out

Yet this pancake was not satisfactory enough in order to keep on trying. So after using several tools and materials..

....I advetured onto looking for another repitable object to make, so after drilling some wholes in a remaining circle.

The pancake became french-toast, which -get ready- in order to be repeated required the construction of a personalized jig:

Now this project deserves a toast: CHEERS!

1. The Flashlight

For this project I was OBSESSED with using this one LED icecube I brought back from Mexico. It had survived being tossed away so many times I just wanted to finally use it.

Since the little gizmo is a flashlight in itself I wanted to play around with the usage of water as the switch for it. So I envisioned a sans-lava lavalamp of sorts. Using a traslucent tube filled with half coulored water and half clear oil I would be able to turn the icecube on and of as I turned the container...or so I thought.

So before I made any decisions about the materials I started off with a series of tests:

First with the LED-cube

Then with a LED to see if I could do my own lamp

Having tested the difficulty of turning on a LED with liquid I decided to stick to my LED cube and just find a proper case for it

Although the casing gave it a very nice glare the tilting and turning off and on cleary did not worked as expected. So I proceeded to try another of my ideas: A floating LED that would turn on when it came in contact with the battery.

Since this idea apparently worked I went back into paper trying to imagine the possibilities of my discoveries

By this point I had little to no time to experiment further so I decided to continue with my last successfull attempt and make it work as a final system. So I went and tryed to build a more stable guide for the LED made out of sponge so that it went up and down the bottle without missing the battery.

If the image is not telling enough...I failed miserably, as soon as the sponge boat entered the bottle and got wet it turned over and went basically kaput. I was too upset to record the dissaster so that is a picture of the aftermath.

So I went ahead, got new material to substitute the sponge and built a different floating device for the LED

And this one worked just as I had envisioned. Yet I feel that the system is not relyable enough...and as a lot say around here: If I had more time maybe it could've been a little more solid. There is a way of knowing though: if I'm able to invest some extra-curricular hours in it...well see.